I ended up doing the pears one evening and the apples another. I was pretty slow because I was learning as I was going. Borrowing an apple peeler and sauce maker made the apples a piece of cake! I was going to use a potato masher for the apple sauce and I'm so glad that their is
an easier way. I ended up with 9 quarts of pears, 6 quarts of apple pie filling, 4 quarts of applesauce, apple-pear fruit leather, a pear pie, and yummy fresh fruit to eat. I only had one can that I needed to reprocess because it didn't seal properly. The fruit didn't go quite as far as I thought, but it was fun to learn. Next time I'll be sure to order more fruit.
I did have a "Ten Virgins" moment during this learning experience. I was one of the foolish virgins because I waited until after I had my fruit to get my canning jars. Then couldn't find them anywhere. I found out that they are a seasonal item! I thought all my fruit was going to be wasted or I would have to try freezing it. My mom happened to be shopping at Winco in Corvallis and called me because they had canning jars. I rushed over to our Winco and was so happy to find they carried them. I was actually at Goodwill seeing if they had any when she called. I had been stressing and praying that I could find some. I was also blessed with a "Tender Mercy" while at Winco too. They were giving out samples of Dr. Pepper! I knew Heavenly Father was reminding me that He is watching out for me and loves me! Then ... I had my jars, but my pan was too small to can them in. Thanks to a friend, I was able to borrow everything I would need to get them job done. So, my fruit didn't go to waste and next time I will be better prepared and make sure I have my jars before I am ready to start canning!
4 comments:
I canned pickles for the first time last year - that was an experience. Just wait next year will be even more fun - once you find jars - stock up, they can be sooo hard to come by when you really need them.
Congratulations on your success!
One day I need to can. Maybe next year.
That is soo cool!! That is something I want to do and be good at.
I have found some half gallon jars at Ray's! Should I get you some for next year? I will save all the jars I have for you. Grandma has many wide mouth quart and pints. I want to can tuna next summer! I tasted tuna that Sis. Albert did - and it was delicious! I'd throw rocks at the store kind after eating that..
Post a Comment