Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Gifts Made With Love

I like to make some of my gifts at Christmas. I think it is more personal and a lot more thought goes into a home made gift. I wanted to make my kids something that I thought would be special to them and that could possible be a keepsake. I wish I could do scrap booking type things, but I just don't have the talent for that... so I sew. I decided this summer that I wanted to make them each a rag quilt.







We bought the fabric and pattern back in August when they were on sale so that I can work on it though out the year. I didn't want to be stressed in December trying to get them done. My plan didn't work out as I planned though. My sewing machine was in the shop and it took two months for them to get the part in. It was October when I had it back and then I was getting ready for Halloween. And then it was Thanksgiving. Needless to say, by the time December rolled around, Brenna's quilt was the only one completed.

The only time that I had to work on them was when Cayden was in preschool and Brenna down for a nap or after the kids were asleep. Most of the time I was too tired to stay up and work on them. I had many late nights this month trying to get them done. I still wasn't done with Cayden's on Christmas Eve! I was up until 3am doing the face and wrapping presents(not a single gift had been wrapped).

Seeing their faces on Christmas morning made all the work worth it. They have used them everyday and slept with them every night. I'm glad that they love them.

Cayden's quilt is a blue dog.







Faith's quilt is an aqua cat.
(She really wanted a kitten this year for Christmas.)






And Brenna's is a pink bear.


Faith also made her own gifts this year. She made a tu-tu for Brenna, an I-Spy bag for Cayden,service coupons for Jared, and an origami flower and vase for me. She loved making her own gifts and passed off some of her Faith in God goals.

I also ended up making a wall hanging for my mom. We draw names for who we have for Christmas. We had my grandma, and my sister, who was supposed to be here for Christmas, had my parents. The Monday before Christmas, we found out that their flight had been canceled because of the weather. I didn't want my parents to be the only one without a gift to open on Christmas! I had started a stained glass Christmas quilt two years ago, but never finished it. (I had made a mistake cutting and laying it out and had just put it away). I pulled it out, easily fixed the problem, and had everything I needed to finish it. I spent that Monday working on it. She was very surprised when they opened their gift.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed their gifts made with love!

2 comments:

Arya said...

I wish I had a talent for sewing...I am going to try to learn, but everything seems so complicated. I just love your rag quilts and in fun shapes no less. You are really gifted and your children will treasure these. I know I treasure the quilts & afghans my great grams made for me over the years.

Steph said...

I love, love, love those quilts! What a great idea!