Thursday, December 18, 2008

Advent Calendars

I have really been trying to get my kids more focused on the true meaning of Christmas this year. Christ is our focus every year, but we are doing a little bit more to make Jesus the center of Christmas for them too. We are actually doing three advent calenders, two that help them focus on the savior. I found a calendar that was in The Friend a few years ago that I had saved, (I don't know why we didn't do it that year). We do the wreath in the morning before Faith leaves for school. This one usually has something for them to do or think about during the day. After Faith gets home and they have completed their task, they get to open the traditional advent calendar with the chocolate. This month's Friend had a calendar with stories about Jesus that are read each day. We read the story for the day before the kids go to bed. Faith and Cayden take turns putting the piece in the wreath and coloring the scripture story.

My mom also did something special for her grand kids this year to help them think about Jesus. She found the cutest little nativity sets and has a piece of it for them to open each day with a story or song that goes along with the character. They were so excited when the package with all their "gifts" arrived. They have ten pieces to open and each day they are so excited to see what piece they receive next. We open these after school. They have been coming in the order they appear in the scriptures, so Faith likes making predictions about what the next piece will be. I would post a picture of their nativity because it is just the cutest thing, but it is tiny and my camera doesn't have a macro setting...so they keep coming out blurry.

I'm glad that my kids are enjoying this so much this year. Cayden brings me the basket with their envelopes several times each day asking if he can open it yet. I have done this with my own set in the past, but they never got into it like this year. Maybe having it be their own set makes it even more special to them. I'm glad that their excitement is about Jesus' birth and not about Santa coming. Thanks, Mom, for helping them remember what Christmas is all about!

1 comment:

Wetzel Family said...

Sorry I haven't been leaving comments. Actually, I don't get on the computer much these days. Christmas has kept us very busy too. I love reading all you post, especially about your ward christmas party. We just had our party last Friday and I like your ward's idea!! We aren't getting out Christmas cards this year so hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!! Love, Stef