Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Answers


I have been feeling like I have been running on empty for quite awhile now. I am always so tired and don't have the energy that I usually have. I hardly have the energy to get through the daily household chores and haven't had the patience I need with my children. I have also been having really bad headaches and nausea (no, I'm not pregnant). Basically, I haven't been feeling quite myself. Nothing I did really made a difference and I was really getting worried that it might be depression or thyroid problems. Both run in my family. I had a nodule in my thyroid before Cayden was born and I wondered if it could be growing again. I went to the doctor last week just to get checked out. I knew something had to be wrong. They did a bunch of lab work and are still waiting for some results. They gave me antibiotics of an infection (that I didn't know I had), my vitamin D is low, and I have iron deficiency anemia! No wonder I have felt so drained.

My iron is really low. The standard range is 40-150(ug/dL) and my level is 26. I have 6% saturation level when 20-50% is normal. The normal ferritin level ( measure of stored iron) is 11-307(ng/mL) and my level is 1! Once they have some of the other labs back, I need to take an iron supplement and increase my vitamin D.

I'm excited to finally have answers and know why I have been feeling so bad. Today is my last day on the antibiotics and I have felt better today than I have in a long time. Still not much energy, but I only had a headache in the morning and I even baked cookies today. When I get my iron up to a healthy level, I should be feeling pretty good again. I'm tired of feeling like a zombie all the time. If I would take better care of myself, I know it wouldn't get to this point. The last time I was REALLY stressed and didn't take care of myself, I got pneumonia. That was while Jared was in Georgia training for 3 1/2months. That was really hard and I don't want something like that to happen again. I now am trying to eat better and eat more so I can gain back some of the weight I lost last month and then some. I'm hoping to gain about 10-15lbs. I want to feel healthy and look it too.

5 comments:

Steph said...

I hope you start feeling better. It is hard when you have no energy and little kids to take care of.

Chrissy said...

Wow! Finally a reason! I am so glad that you are going to make an effort to take better care of yourself and eat better. It is really important!! It happens too often that moms get consumed with family things and completely forget themselves. That is a great trait but only to a certain degree. It is important to think of yourself too (and I know I am saying this without being a mom myself and don't know what it's like) I love you!

cjdustin said...

I hope you are well soon. I'm so sorry that you have been so run down but I hope that you can get on top of it now and feel lots better!

Sarah said...

I'm glad you found some answers! It's not fun to not feel good and be 'the mom!' I tagged you on my blog! I thought it would be a great way for me to get to know you better!

Jason,Pauline,Emma said...

Its great to hear that you found out what was wrong.Having low Iron is no fun I have a condition that makes my Iron low and its never normal so I know what it feels like to have no energy to do this its great that teh doctor ran tests its always helpful to know whats causing things like that.