Monday, February 16, 2009

Fun on the Ice

Our ward always has the most fun church activities. Our most recent activity was ice skating! It was a huge hit last year and I'm glad they did it again. Faith had a blast skating with three of her classmates. I spent the first couple laps holding Cayden up and skating with him. He almost made me fall a couple of times, but thankfully, I have pretty good balance. Cayden got tired pretty quickly. We missed being able to use the little plastic chairs that we used last year for him, but they still allowed strollers out on the ice. Jared isn't much of a skater and had no problems taking Brenna and Cayden out so that I could skate. I LOVE ice skating and like to go FAST! Because Jared is involved in planning and carrying out the activities, I am usually on my own with the kids. So, it was nice having him able to help out.
The lights were turned off for the last part of the session. As soon as they did, more people headed back onto the ice, including me. I spent most of the time skating and would occasionally get off to see how Jared was doing. I think everyone there would agree that it was a great time...except maybe the employees. This is what it looked like when we left! What a mess!!! But a teaching moment presented itself.

Seeing all the skates piled this way made me think about what I am teaching in Primary this month. (I'm always pondering ways I can teach the message of the songs, and not just the words.) "How Firm a Foundation"(a favorite of mine)is the song we've been working on this month. We've been talking about why a firm foundation is essential and that Christ is the foundation we are to build our lives upon. I pointed out to Faith that these skates, just thrown carelessly one on top of the other, do not make a firm foundation. I was even nervous adding mine to the pile for fear they would topple over. They just looked dangerous and I wouldn't want them falling on me! When we are careless about building our foundation, it is likely to be weak and we don't know how long it will support us.

I had decided on using Jenga in Primary that Sunday and then after seeing the skates, I knew it would be perfect! I wanted them to see that our foundation is made up of individual "blocks". Each one represented something that helps build our foundation, which is also like our TESTIMONY...scriptures, prayer, obedience, sacrament, covenants, ect...patterning our lives after the SAVIOR. When all the pieces were placed carefully and correctly, it was FIRM. I even had little people on top to represent them. Then we started taking blocks away one by one, (singing each time, of course). It was the perfect object lesson.
Each of those blocks was crucial to keeping the tower strong. If we are not careful, we will leave HOLES in our testimony that will eventually cause our FOUNDATION to collapse. We always need to be working on making it STRONG.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

You are an amazing singing time teacher! Thank you for sharing you with us! Hearing you talk about what you do in singing time almost makes me want to teach primary, just so I can be in singing time! (note the word almost, I think I still like 2 year olds better, what can I say I like to play with toys!) I love how you took something as simple as the ice skates and applied it to the gospel! You are GREAT!

Coastalgrannie said...

Cute pictures! I'm glad you are in such a fun family ward. And love to see how you follow the Spirit in your callings! I love how the Spirit works! Great picture of the skates and symbolism.

Chrissy said...

Fun!! We'd have fun skating together because I love to go fast, and also race people. Sometimes it feels like I am running and not skating. The kids look cute! Matt isn't much of a skater so we have only been once in the last 3 years. Sad, I know.