When we moved to Vancouver last year, I was called to be the Primary Chorister in our new ward. I can't even describe what a shock it was. I laughed when the told me and then cried that night. It was never one of the callings that I ever thought I would get or even like. I remember a friend in Salem saying that was her dream calling, but it was never extended to her. I just thought she was crazy! I now can see why she enjoyed it.
It was a major struggle for me when I first started. I was 9 months pregnant and then had a newborn. I was getting settled into our new home and didn't know anyone in our ward. And with 125 kids or so in primary, getting to know them to has been a challenge. My first weeks I looked like a deer in headlights in front of everybody. I didn't know the songs they were learning, I can't sing well, I get nervous in front of people, and I'm not very comfortable teaching. And now I was responsible for teaching the gospel through music and I don't have much of a musical background. It was all my insecurities rolled into one calling. Every week was a challenge and I didn't know what I was doing. I never realised how demanding this calling was. It is very time consuming, but I have been blessed and have grown to love what I am doing. Others have said that it is the best calling in the church and I am starting to agree. This has been the hardest calling I have done, but right now I don't want to be doing anything else. It's taken a long time for me to feel this way though.
I have especially enjoyed this month. The song that we have been working on is "If The Savior Stood Beside Me"by Sally DeFord. What a beautiful song and the message is so important! This song is my favorite one they are learning this year. I have been able to do some great mini-lessons to help them understand the message and the Spirit is so
strong when they sing it. Their testimonies are so strong. That is one of the things that I love about this calling. I get to see their testimonies grow has they learn these songs. They have such a great love for their Savior and I get to be a part of that every week. I get to be part of their baptism by leading the music. I love seeing the light in their eyes and the joy on the faces of their family as they make this special covenant. I have come to love these children and they have come to love me too. I love when I am at school volunteering and their faces light up when they see me and they wave with the biggest smile on their faces. I am glad that I get to share my love for the Savior with them and have fun with them too. I am grateful for being able to serve in this way. I wasn't sure why I would have been called to this but I've had several people say they were truly inspired when they called me. They look forward to what I will do each week. I just want to sevre my Heavenly Father to the best of my ability.
It was a major struggle for me when I first started. I was 9 months pregnant and then had a newborn. I was getting settled into our new home and didn't know anyone in our ward. And with 125 kids or so in primary, getting to know them to has been a challenge. My first weeks I looked like a deer in headlights in front of everybody. I didn't know the songs they were learning, I can't sing well, I get nervous in front of people, and I'm not very comfortable teaching. And now I was responsible for teaching the gospel through music and I don't have much of a musical background. It was all my insecurities rolled into one calling. Every week was a challenge and I didn't know what I was doing. I never realised how demanding this calling was. It is very time consuming, but I have been blessed and have grown to love what I am doing. Others have said that it is the best calling in the church and I am starting to agree. This has been the hardest calling I have done, but right now I don't want to be doing anything else. It's taken a long time for me to feel this way though.
I have especially enjoyed this month. The song that we have been working on is "If The Savior Stood Beside Me"by Sally DeFord. What a beautiful song and the message is so important! This song is my favorite one they are learning this year. I have been able to do some great mini-lessons to help them understand the message and the Spirit is so
strong when they sing it. Their testimonies are so strong. That is one of the things that I love about this calling. I get to see their testimonies grow has they learn these songs. They have such a great love for their Savior and I get to be a part of that every week. I get to be part of their baptism by leading the music. I love seeing the light in their eyes and the joy on the faces of their family as they make this special covenant. I have come to love these children and they have come to love me too. I love when I am at school volunteering and their faces light up when they see me and they wave with the biggest smile on their faces. I am glad that I get to share my love for the Savior with them and have fun with them too. I am grateful for being able to serve in this way. I wasn't sure why I would have been called to this but I've had several people say they were truly inspired when they called me. They look forward to what I will do each week. I just want to sevre my Heavenly Father to the best of my ability.
1 comment:
Congratulations on being the chorister in primary.
Post a Comment