One of the things that I wanted to do while in Hawaii was hike to a waterfall. We ended up going to Waimea Valley, a historical nature park with botanical gardens and a waterfall. We didn't know that they had swimming at the falls until we got there. Boy, were we glad that we had brought along our bathing suits! Everything about this place was beautiful. They have a restored heiau, a Hawaiian temple, in the parking lot at the entrance to the valley.
We were the first to arrive at the falls. They have two lifeguards on duty with life jackets and boogie board for people to use if they weren't very strong swimmers. The water was on the cooler side, but felt great once you got in. The pool is about 30ft deep, but there is a rock ledge at the foot of the falls that you could stand or sit on. From that rock ledge, it is a straight drop off. It was fun jumping from the ledge into the water! They even do cliff diving events here.
I can't tell you what a great experience this was for me. I think it was here that the whole trip started to really become real to me. It almost brought me to tears. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii, but never really thought I would. I have never really been anywhere. And here I was, swimming in this beautiful waterfall! I could never even imagine myself doing it before. It was just so refreshing and peaceful, even spiritual. I stayed in those waters for quite a while. I went around the pool exploring the rocks and trying to memorize every detail. I never wanted to forget the experience. It was perfect!
More people had arrived by the time we were ready to head back. Being here reminded me of show LOST. It looked like a place they could have film. Since LOST is filmed on Oahu, I was hoping that we would have time to check out some of there sets. Well, it turned out that I did!
No wonder it looked familiar to me!
They also have peacocks and chickens that roam the gardens and they were hanging around the Waimea Valley Grill.
This one would actually try to take food right off people's plates when they were sitting down at the table. He didn't bother us though. We ended up splitting a sandwich and an acai smoothie. After we left, we stopped at a local roadside fruit stand and tried fried banana, fresh pineapple, starfruit, guava, and lychee. We also stopped at one of the shrimp trucks along the road. The food there was really good!
2 comments:
I love those moments when you find yourself doing or being somewhere you never imagined possible - it's priceless. I look at them as one of the Lord's tender mercies. You never know how much it would mean to you until it happens. And your heart overflows. I love when that happens. Like when I rocked and held Faith when she was a baby - and I knew the best was yet to come. And when I saw you walk into the Celestial Room the first time. And seeing Nauvoo. They are gifts.
What happened to the blog? No more posts? Maybe my computer is broken!
Post a Comment